New bus network for Bendigo offers better connections and more direct routes
Added: 2 December 2015
Bendigo will get a new bus network from 31 January 2016, providing residents and visitors with more direct routes, better connections and bus services extended into new areas.
Improvements include a new and improved bus network for Spring Gully, Huntly, Eaglehawk, Jackass Flat and Epsom, along with adjusted route and timetable changes to other areas.
Key features of the new bus network include:
- Improved train and bus connections with more buses coordinated at Bendigo Station to meet trains departing for Melbourne in the morning, while in the afternoon and evening buses will have improved connections with trains arriving from Melbourne;
- Buses extended to new areas with a new cross town service operating from Huntly to Kangaroo Flat, plus a new service to Jackass Flat and expansion into growth areas in Strathfieldsaye and Huntly;
- More frequent services with bus services to and from the Eaglehawk town centre every 15 minutes on weekdays;
- Three buses to La Trobe University, including a new fast, direct and frequent bus from La Trobe University to Bendigo Station;
- Faster more frequent journey to the city from Strathfieldsaye;
- Buses every 30 or 60 minutes on most routes.
The changes being introduced follow extensive consultation with the local community and will complement City of Bendigo’s Integrated Transport and Land Use Strategy and the review of train services to Melbourne as part of the Bendigo Metro Rail Project.
Additional consultation will also take place in early 2016 around upgrading services to the Junortoun area to ensure that as this area grows, public transport continues to adapt to meet the changing needs and growing demand of the local population.
The new timetables will take effect from Sunday, 31 January 2016.
For further information on the project, see A new bus network for Bendigo.
Media enquiries 0466 017 500