Bus route 216, 219 and 220 adjustments
From Sunday 17 November 2019, bus routes 216, 219 and 220 will be adjusted and three new routes will be implemented to keep up with changing road conditions in the CBD and better meet passenger demand.
Click the links below to view your new timetables and route maps.
Route 216 Sunshine Station – Brighton Beach will become Route 216 Sunshine Station – City via Dynon Rd
- Route 216 will permanently run from Sunshine Station to the CBD via Dynon Road and terminate in Queen Street. The route will not change between Sunshine and the CBD.
- The frequency will be increased so there’s the same number of services in the western suburbs as currently provided by Route 216 and 219 combined.
- There will be more Sunday services, improving frequency from hourly to every 20 to 30 minutes.
- South of the city, the new Route 603 will be implemented to replace Route 216 between Brighton Beach and the Alfred Hospital via New and Hotham Streets.
Route 219 will be discontinued as it duplicates most of Route 216 and travels to Gardenvale Station, which will be serviced by the new Route 604.
Route 220 Sunshine Station – Gardenvale will become Route 220 Sunshine Station – City via Footscray Rd
- Route 220 will run from Sunshine Station to the CBD via Footscray Road and terminate in Queen Street. The route between Sunshine and the CBD will not change.
- Buses will be more frequent Sundays, with services to every 20 to 30 minutes (the current timetable is only every 30 minutes on Sundays).
- South of the city, a new Route 604 will be implemented to replace the existing Route 220 between Gardenvale and the Alfred Hospital.
New service: Route 429 Sunshine South – Sunshine Station
- Route 429 will service Sunshine South and provide a connection to Sunshine Station.
- It will follow the same route as the 219 between Sunshine Station and Boreham Street/Couper-Angus Grove.
- It will connect with train services at Sunshine Station, so passengers can continue their journey to the CBD by train or on bus Route 216.
New service: Route 603 Brighton Beach – The Alfred Hospital
- Route 603 will replace the existing routes 216 and 219 between Brighton Beach and the Alfred Hospital via Hotham and New Streets (the same way as the current Route 216).
- Route 603 will operate every 20 minutes from Monday to Saturday and every 30 minutes on Sundays.
- Passengers wishing to continue their journey from the Alfred to the CBD can:
- transfer to tram Route 72
- catch tram routes 3, 3a, 5, 6, 16, 64 or 67 along St Kilda Road and Swanston Street
- interchange at Elsternwick Station and catch a train to the city.
- Passengers who currently catch Route 219 from the Alfred Hospital towards Gardenvale will be able to take new Route 604 Alfred Hospital to Gardenvale Station via Orrong Road.
New service: Route 604 Gardenvale – The Alfred Hospital
- Route 604 will replace the existing routes 220 and 219 between Gardenvale and the Alfred Hospital, via Orrong Road.
- The service will operate every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday and every 30 minutes on Sundays.
- To continue your journey from the Alfred to the CBD, transfer to tram Route 72 or catch tram routes 3, 3a, 5, 6, 16, 64 or 67 along St Kilda Road and Swanston Street.
- To travel between the Alfred Hospital, Prahran or the Bayside area, transfer to Route 604 Alfred Hospital to Gardenvale via Orrong Road, instead of Route 219 or 220.
- To travel along Hotham and New Streets, catch the new Route 603 between the Alfred Hospital and Brighton Beach via Elsternwick Station.