There are a number of things that you can do to make your bus journey safer and more secure.
At bus stops
- Children shouldn't play on the road or attempt to approach the bus until it has stopped.
- Stand back from the kerb as the bus pulls in.
- Be sure that the bus driver can see you and you can see the driver.
Boarding the bus
- Wait until the bus has stopped and the door has opened before approaching the bus.
- Allow passengers to alight before boarding the bus.
- Watch your step, and use the handrail.
- If you have to buy or top up a myki on the bus, have any concession cards ready to show the driver.
- If you need help boarding the bus or require assistance with your destination or route, ask the driver.
- Touch on with your myki before you take a seat.
When on the bus
- Remain seated throughout the journey.
- Do not speak to or distract the driver while the bus is moving.
- If you see someone who is elderly, pregnant, mobility impaired or disabled, offer them your seat.
- Do not place bags on seats. Use the luggage racks where possible.
- Do not block doorways and allow other passengers room to move if they are getting off the bus.
- When standing, place bags on the floor between your feet.
Getting off at your stop
- Press the stop button in time to allow the driver to stop the bus safely and smoothly.
- Stay in your seat until the bus has come to a complete stop.
- After you have alighted, do not attempt to cross the road in front of or behind the bus. Wait at the stop well clear of the bus until it has driven away before crossing the road.
Bus safety initiatives
Some initiatives improving safety on our bus network:
- Bus lanes are being introduced on key routes across Melbourne to improve service reliability and travel times. Giving buses dedicated road space helps them avoid delays along their route and also gives people better public transport access to community services and better connections to the train and tram network.
- The Rural School Bus Safety Program is delivering safer, more comfortable and more convenient bus interchanges for primary and secondary school students in regional Victoria.