News and events
Events > Public holiday
Public transport for the ANZAC Day Shrine Dawn Service: Thursday 25 April 2019
25 Apr 2019
The 2019 Shrine Dawn Service will be held from 6am to 6.30am on Thursday 25 April at the Shrine of Remembrance.
As large crowds are expected, please allow plenty of time to get to the Shrine.
Early trains, trams and buses will get you to the Shrine of Remembrance in time for the Dawn Service.
Some passengers will be eligible for free transport on ANZAC Day for more information, see ANZAC Day 2019.
Additional services will operate to Flinders Street Station from:
- Mernda, departing at 4.23am and 4.35am
- Hurstbridge, departing at 4.07am and 4.24am
- Lilydale, departing at 4.15am
- Glen Waverley, departing at 4.41am and 4.46am
- Pakenham, depating at 4.04am and 4.12am
- Frankston, departing at 4.07am
- Sandringham, departing at 4.45am and 4.55am
- Werribee, depating at 4.22am and 4.35am
- Sunbury, departing at 4.27am and 4.39am
- Craigieburn departing at 4.33am and 4.45am
- Upfield, depating at 4.33am and 4.47am
An additional train will operate from Alamein to Camberwell, departing at 4.24am
An additional train will operate from Belgrave to Ringwood, departing at 4.00am
An additional train will operate from Cranbourne to Dandenong, departing at 4.03am
Additional trains will operate from Williamstown to Newport, departing at 4.26am and 4.46am
Additional trams will operate on all routes except for Routes 30, 78, 82 and City Circle trams (Route 35) to assist customers arriving in the city by 5.30am.
Swanston Street Shuttles depart City Square towards Stop 19 Shrine of Remembrance starting at 4:34 and runs every 3 minutes (approximately) until 5:32am.
All trams travelling along St Kilda Road prior to the Dawn Service will terminate at Stop 20 St Kilda Road/Park Street.
|Additional metropolitan tram services for the Dawn Service|
|Tram route||Starting location||First service departing||Second service departing||Third service departing|
|1||South Melbourne Beach||4.14am||4.24am||4.34am|
|3||East Malvern (via Luna Park)||3.49am||3.59am||4.09am|
|12||St Kilda- Fitzroy & Park Streets||4.39am||4.49am||4.59am|
|16||Malvern Depot (via Luna Park)||4.00am||4.10am||4.20am|
|57||West Maribyrnong (via Haymarket||4.21am||4.31am||4.41am|
|58||Toorak (via St Kilda)||4.37am||4.47am||4.57am|
|58||West Coburg (via William St)||4.32am||4.42am||4.52am|
|70||Waterfront City - Docklands||4.43am||4.53am||5.03am|
|96||St Kilda Beach||4.29am||4.39am||4.49am|
|109||Box Hill Central||4.36am||4.46am||4.56am|
Please note: From 5.45am until 2.00pm, no trams will operate along St Kilda Road between Stop 8 Melbourne Central Station and Stop 20 St Kilda Road/Park Street. See our Disruptions page for more information.
Plan your journey with journey planner.
Free PTV RSL Bus Shuttles
PTV will be running shuttle bus services from designated RSLs and suburban locations.
For information on services and to reserve your seat, see PTV Free Dawn Service Bus Shuttles.
V/Line trains will run to a Saturday timetable.
There will be no additional regional train services to Melbourne for the Shrine Dawn Service.
V/Line coaches will run to a Saturday timetable.
There will be no additional regional coach services to Melbourne for the Shrine Dawn Service.
Please note: No Night Network services will operate on Thursday 25 April 2019. Night Network only operates on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Please check the disruptions page for notification of any service changes that may affect your journey to and from the event.
- You can check our Event precinct maps to find out the closest modes of transport and walking times to the MCG and Marvel Stadium
- To plan your route, please utilise the PTV Journey planner.
- Download the free PTV mobile apps for Android and iOS and access public transport information on the go.
- Customers requiring accessibility information and assistance, see Accessible transport.
- Customers are advised to top up prior to travelling or to set auto top up so that you never need to top up again. For more information, see auto top up your myki.
- For information on ticketing for children and concessions, see Children and Concessions.
- Customers needing further information or special assistance, please call 1800 800 007 prior to travelling.
Subscribe for weekly travel updates
Keep up to date with planned disruptions on your line/route and across the network by subscribing to our weekly travel update email.