News and events
Tips to help you plan ahead during the autumn construction blitz
25 Mar 2019
We’re building the Metro Tunnel and improving the public transport network. In April, buses replace trains on the Cranbourne and Pakenham, Frankston, Glen Waverley, Mernda and Sandringham lines. On the regional train network, coaches replace trains on the Gippsland, Warrnambool and Geelong lines.
For details of the rail disruption and replacement buses, see Autumn construction blitz on roads and public transport in April.
This will involve delays to your journey, so we’d like to help you plan ahead.
Here are some tips:
- If you can, avoid peak times and travel before 7am or after 9am.
- Take advantage of the Early Bird fare. Touch on and off before 7.15am and your metropolitan train travel is free.
- Buses replace trains between the city and Caulfield in April. Caulfield is expected to be extremely busy between 7.30am and 8.30am on weekdays.
- Work remotely for the first or last two hours of the day, if possible.
- If possible, work from home or from another office or location outside the city one day a week.
- Consider walking, cycling or alternative transport options if you can.
- If you do need to drive into the city, consider carpooling with colleagues, family and friends and neighbours.
We expect other public transport services and roads to be busier than usual. Plan ahead and allow extra time.
Thank you for your patience while we work to build the Metro Tunnel and prepare our network for bigger, better trains.