News and events
News > Disruption
Tips to help you plan ahead during the spring construction blitz
12 Sep 2019
We’re building the Metro Tunnel and improving the transport network.
Across late September and October, buses will replace trains at various times on the Cranbourne and Pakenham, Sunbury, Werribee and Williamstown lines.
At various times, trams on St Kilda Road and Plenty Road will also be replaced by buses and trams on Flinders Street will not run between Elizabeth Street and Russell Street.
On the regional train network, coaches will replace trains on parts of the Ballarat, Bendigo, Gippsland, Geelong and Warrnambool lines.
For details of the disruptions and replacement buses, see spring construction blitz on roads and public transport.
These works will involve delays to your journey, so we’d like to help you plan ahead.
Here are some tips:
- If you can, avoid peak times and travel before 7am or after 9am.
- Take advantage of the Early Bird fare. Touch on and off before 7.15am and your metropolitan train travel is free.
- Work remotely for the first or last two hours of the day, if possible.
- If possible, work from home or from another office or location outside the city one day a week.
- Consider walking, cycling or alternative transport options if you can.
- If you do need to drive into the city, consider carpooling with colleagues, family and friends and neighbours.
For St Kilda Road and High Street tram passengers:
- Cranbourne, Pakenham, Frankston, Glen Waverley and Sandringham train lines between the city and the eastern suburbs.
- Walking may be an option along St Kilda Road as some tram stops are a short distance apart
- Route 6 passengers travelling on High Street may wish to consider, Route 72 trams along Malvern Road, Route 5 and 64 trams along Dandenong Road and Route 78 trams along Chapel Street to connect with trains or trams.
We encourage you allow more time for your journey and consider alternatives if you can. Please also be aware there may be more people using the roads, or an alternative line or route, if their usual journey is disrupted.
Thank you for your patience while we work to build the Metro Tunnel and prepare our network for bigger, better trains.