News and events
News > Safety
Travelling in Victoria this summer
06 Jan 2020
This summer, Victoria is experiencing bushfires of an unprecedented scale.
Conditions can and do change rapidly.
Whilst this is a time of year that many people travel to explore Victoria and spend time with family and friends, the safety of all Victorians and visitors is paramount.
If you are planning on travelling in Victoria during this time, make sure you are informed and prepared before you go.
Where possible, train, coach and bus services will operate, but unplanned disruptions may occur. This may result in cancellation of services, route deviation, replacement services or timetable changes.
If disruptions occur, you may need to transfer to another mode of transport. Be aware there is limited space for bikes on V/Line trains and coach replacement services.
Before you go
- Go through the Country Fire Authority (CFA) Traveller’s Checklist
- Read through the CFA Your Guide to Survival
- Download the free VicEmergency app for iOS and Android, or check the VicEmergency website for up-to-date information
- Inform friends and family of your travel plans including your intended route
- Plan your journey on public transport using our website or apps and check disruption information before starting your journey
- Plan how you will access public transport services. Low visibility and road closures may impact the ability to connect with public transport at either end of your journey. Check VicTraffic before travelling and booking tickets.
- Review CFA information in languages other than English
- If you are working or may work in a bushfire affected area, the CFA has bushfire safety information specific to workers.
When you are travelling
- Regularly check the VicEmergency app and website for up-to-date information
- Listen to ABC or local radio for warnings and travel advice
- Communicate any changes in your travel plans to your friends and family
- Keep informed of public transport disruption information via the PTV website, apps or Twitter.
- Keep informed of road closures via the VicTraffic website or download the VicTraffic app for iOS or Android.
If you need additional assistance or information, call 1800 800 007 6am to midnight (all night Friday and Saturday).
In case of emergency, always call 000.