Public transport investments in 2016-17 Victorian Budget
Added: 27 April 2016
The government has today announced a suite of significant investments in public transport as part of the 2016-17 Victorian Budget.
These projects provide funding for a number of initiatives in metropolitan and regional Victoria, and additional trains for the network.
Metropolitan projects and initiatives:
- Melbourne Metro Rail Project - $2.9 billion to progress construction of the two nine kilometre underground tunnels.
- Mernda Rail Project - $587.7 million to extend the South Morang line to Mernda.
- Hurstbridge Line - $140.2 million to duplicate a section of single track on the Hurstbridge line between Heidelberg and Rosanna.
- Melbourne Underground Rail Loop Project (Stage 2) - $134 million to enhance the safety of the City Loop including improvements to CCTV and intruder detection technology.
- Frankston Station – $50 million to deliver the Frankston Station Precinct Upgrade.
More regional capacity:
- Ballarat Line Upgrade - $518 million to duplicate the Ballarat line to Melton as well as increase service frequency to the Ballarat region and Melbourne’s outer west.
- 170 Additional Regional Services - 170 additional regional services to cater for growing patronage of the regional rail network.
More new trains:
- More High Capacity Metro Trains - $875 million for an additional 28 High Capacity Metro Trains on top of the previous order of 37.
- More VLocity Carriages - $280.4 million for 27 VLocity carriages and extra stabling in addition to the 21 VLocity carriages ordered in 2015/16.
- More X’Trapolis Trains - $ 105.2 million for five additional X’Trapolis for the metropolitan network.
- Next Generation Regional Train – Funding to investigate and plan for the next generation of regional rolling stock.
Investments of $1.9 billion in our metropolitan network and $1.3 billion for the regional network will enable Public Transport Victoria to transform the network into a world-class public transport system.
For more information visit budget.vic.gov.au.