News and events
News > Buses
Transdev begins operating the Melbourne Metropolitan Bus Franchise
02 Aug 2013
On Sunday 4 August, Transdev Melbourne began operating approximately a third of Melbourne’s public bus network, after winning a public tender to operate the Melbourne Metropolitan Bus Franchise.
It was the first time such a significant portion of the bus network had been publicly tendered.
Buses are a vital part of our public transport network and this tender was an important part of securing better bus services for Melburnians.
The contract represented value for money for taxpayers and will drive improvements for customers.
Key features of the contract include:
- Monitoring of timetabled services using a GPS tracking system, with penalties for late or cancelled services.
- Financial bonuses and penalties tied to growth in customer numbers.
- A contractual commitment to improving customer satisfaction to 80 per cent by end of 2016 through improved customer service training and a focus on service delivery.
- Improved provision of customer information on-board and at bus stops, with a particular focus on informing customers during service disruptions.
- A requirement for the operator to conduct a comprehensive review of all services included in the franchise to identify opportunities for improvement and implement a "greenfields" timetable change by the end of April 2015.
Transdev Melbourne’s bid made it clear that its priority is to deliver the highest quality bus services by continuously improving punctuality and reliability, safety, customer service and information.
In a first for bus contracts in Victoria, a performance regime will be used as an incentive for reaching key performance targets, including carrying more customers.
From day one, it has been business as usual and all bus services transferred to Transdev operate as normal. However, in the future we expect to see major reforms to improve the overall performance of the bus services under the new operator, including improved customer service and service delivery.
Transdev now operate the following routes:
- 200 City – Bulleen
- 201 City – Doncaster Shoppingtown, Doncaster
- 202 East Kew – Box Hill
- 203 City – Bulleen via East Kew & Eastern Freeway
- 205 Melbourne University – Doncaster Shoppingtown (via Thompsons Road)
- 207 City – Donvale
- 215 Highpoint – Caroline Springs
- 216 Caroline Springs – Brighton
- 219 Sunshine Park – Gardenvale
- 220 Sunshine – Gardenvale
- 223 Highpoint – Yarraville
- 232 Altona – Victoria Market
- 235 City – Fishermens Bend (via Williamstown Road)
- 237 City – Fishermens Bend (via Lorimer Street)
- 238 City – Port Melbourne
- 246 Elsternwick – La Trobe University (via Clifton Hill)
- 250 Garden City – La Trobe University (via Clifton Hill)
- 251 Garden City – Northland Shopping Centre, Preston (via Clifton Hill)
- 253 Garden City – City
- 270 Box Hill – Ringwood
- 271 Box Hill – Junction & Springvale Roads (via Springfield Road)
- 273 The Pines Shopping Centre, Doncaster East – Nunawading Station
- 279 Box Hill – Templestowe - Shoppingtown
- 280 Manningham loop (Clockwise)
- 281 Templestowe – Deakin University, Burwood
- 282 Manningham loop (Anti-Clockwise)
- 284 Box Hill – Doncaster Shoppingtown (via Greythorn Road)
- 285 Camberwell – Doncaster Shoppingtown (via Balwyn Road)
- 286 Box Hill – The Pines Shopping Centre, Doncaster East , (via Blackburn Road)
- 293 Box Hill – Greensborough
- 295 Box Hill – The Pines Shopping Centre, Doncaster East ( via Victoria Street)
- 302 City – Box Hill (via Belmore Road & Eastern Freeway)
- 303 City – Ringwood North (via Springfield Road)
- 305 City – The Pines Shopping Centre, Doncaster East (via Anderson Creek Rd)
- 309 City – Donvale (via Eastern Freeway & Reynolds Road)
- 313 City – Doncaster Park and Ride (via Kilby Rd and Eastern Freeway)
- 315 City – Box Hill (via Balwyn North & Eastern Freeway)
- 318 City – Deep Creek
- 340 City – La Trobe University, Bundoora
- 364 Ringwood – Warrandyte Bridge
- 366 Ringwood – Croydon (via Ringwood North & Croydon Hills)
- 367 Ringwood – Croydon (via Ringwood East & Maroondah Hospital)
- 600/922/923 St Kilda – Southland
- 901 Frankston - Melbourne Airport (SMARTBUS Service)
- 902 Chelsea - Airport West (SMARTBUS Service)
- 903 Altona – Mordialloc (SMARTBUS Service)
- 905 City – The Pines Shopping Centre, Doncaster East (via Eastern Freeway & Templestowe Shops)
- 906 City – Warrandyte Bridge & Ringwood ext via (Eastern Freeway & Templestowe Shops)
- 907 City – Mitcham
- 908 City – The Pines Shopping Centre, Doncaster East (via King Street)