iUSEpass help and frequently asked questions
What is an iUSEpass myki card?
An iUSEpass myki card gives eligible international students discounted public transport in the zones where their university, college or TAFE is located. Most institutions are in Zone 1+2, which covers most of metropolitan Melbourne.
When you first apply for an iUSEpass you’ll receive a special myki card with your photo and details on the back. Your iUSEpass is loaded on this card, giving you one year of discounted travel. When your iUSEpass expires you can renew it with the same myki card.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, you must be an international student studying a diploma, advanced diploma, bachelor or associate degree full time at:
- Australian Catholic University
- Box Hill Institute
- Chisholm Institute
- Deakin University
- Holmesglen Institute
- La Trobe University
- Melbourne City Institute of Education
- Melbourne University
- Monash University
- Nova Institute of Technology
- Photography Studies College
- RMIT University
- SAE Creative Media Institute
- Swinburne University
- University of Divinity
- Victoria University
Please note: International exchange students, students with refugee status and recipients of Australian Award Scholarships are already eligible for discounted travel. The iUSEpass doesn’t apply to these students. New Zealand students are eligible for the iUSEpass scheme.
Will I save money with an iUSEpass?
You’ll save 50 per cent on the price of an annual myki card by paying for an iUSEpass upfront. You could save even more if you usually top up with myki Money.
You can save money with an iUSEpass even if you’re not in Melbourne for a whole year. If you travel a lot in Zones 1+2 (for example, for study, work and going out with friends), an iUSEpass will probably cost less than topping up with myki Money.
Use the calculator to see how much you could save.
How do I order an iUSEpass?
- Check to see if your institution is part of the iUSEpass program.
- If it is, ask your institution how to apply for an iUSEpass code.
- When you have your iUSEpass code, go to iusepass.vic.gov.au
- Register your details to create an account and buy your iUSEpass.
Enter your current postal address and upload a photo that is:
- passport quality (looking straight at the camera)
- 300dpi file resolution
- less than 60KB file size
- uploaded as a JPEG
- between 248x310 and 248x319 pixels.
You can buy an iUSEpass all year except December. Your iUSEpass myki card will be mailed to you within 14 days. It’s valid for 365 days from when you first touch on.
Can I travel outside the zones on my iUSEpass?
No, your iUSEpass is only valid in the zones listed on your myki card. If you want to travel outside these zones, top up with myki Money.
My institution isn’t listed. Can I still buy an iUSEpass?
No. You’re only eligible if your institution is participating in the program.
Interested institutions can learn more about iUSEpass.
When does my iUSEpass expire?
Your iUSEpass expires 365 days from the date you first touch on.
My iUSEpass has expired. Do I need to buy a new myki card?
No. When your iUSEpass expires, you can renew it for another year if you’re still an eligible student. A new iUSEpass will be loaded onto the myki card you already have.
If you’ve finished studying but want to keep travelling in Melbourne, keep your myki and top up with myki Money or a myki Pass. It will work as a full fare myki card.
How do I renew my iUSEpass?
- Ask your institution for a new iUSEpass code. Don’t reuse your old code.
- Go to iusepass.vic.gov.au and log into your account.
- Select ‘Renew Pass’ and enter your code.
- Your new iUSEpass will be loaded onto your existing card within 14 days.