Free travel for primary school groups
From 1 January 2018, primary school groups can travel free on off-peak trains, trams, coaches and buses.
To enjoy free travel you must:
- have a group of at least 12, including up to four adults (see below for maximum group sizes)
- travel entirely within off-peak times (9.30am to 3.30pm, after 6pm on regional services, after 7pm on metropolitan services or anytime on weekends)
- carry a Prepaid Travel Authority during your journey.
Inbound and outbound journeys can be split over separate days.
We recommend booking a Prepaid Travel Authority seven days in advance. You can do this at:
- staffed stations
- metropolitan PTV Hubs
- V/Line website (V/Line bookings only)
- by calling the V/Line Group Travel Coordinator on 03 9619 2338 (V/Line bookings only)
Maximum group sizes
We limit groups to make sure we have enough room for all passengers to travel safely.
Train – 35 children
Tram – 35 children
Bus – 25 children
V/Line train – 20 children if no booking, 35 with advance booking
V/Line coach – 12 children if no booking, 20 with advance booking