Assistance Animal Pass

An assistance animal is trained, like a Guide Dog, to assist you in alleviating or managing the effects of a disability or condition.

Not all animals are assistance animals, even if they assist you in some way. Companion, therapy and facility animals are not considered assistance animals. House training and general obedience aren’t enough to qualify your animal for an Assistance Animal Pass.

For information about travelling with your pet, see Animals on public transport

Which animals are eligible?

Animals covered by the Assistance Animal Pass (usually dogs) include:

  • Mobility support animals that help people with physical disabilities who use mobility aids or have difficulty moving around.
  • Medical alert animals that help people in a medical emergency such as an epileptic fit, or changes in blood pressure and blood sugar.
  • Psychiatric service animals that help people with mental illnesses such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, anxiety and panic attacks.

Assistance Animal Pass

You can apply for an Assistance Animal Pass if you need your animal to help manage your disability while you use public transport.

To receive a pass, you’ll need to provide evidence that your assistance animal is formally trained to help you manage your disability, and meets similar standards of hygiene and obedience as a Guide Dog. Guide Dogs and hearing dogs (working or in-training) don’t need an Assistance Animal Pass.  

Assistance Animals can travel free on public transport in Victoria.  The handler must have a valid ticket.

Suggested trainers

You can download our list of suggested trainers at the link below:

Suggested trainers for Assistance Animals - accessible version (RTF) 140kB

Our list isn’t exhaustive – you can choose another trainer who suits your needs.

Public Access Test

Other Australian states require assistance animals to pass a Public Access Test.  This assesses an animal’s ability to work and behave as an assistance animal in public places, including on public transport.

Assistance animals need to be:

  • non-aggressive
  • obedient to their handler's commands
  • quiet (no barking)
  • experienced in real life situations
  • calm in confined and crowded spaces
  • calm in noisy and stressful situations.

This isn't an exhaustive list. You can find out more about the test at the links below:

Queensland’s Public Access Test

Western Australia’s Public Access Test

South Australia’s Public Access Test

In Victoria your animal doesn’t need to complete a Public Access Test, but we strongly recommended that your trainer use the requirements as a guide to minimum standards of behaviour and hygiene.

Interstate Visitors

All Victorian public transport operators accept Assistance Animal Passes from other states.  You don’t need to apply for a Victorian Assistance Animal Pass.

Apply for an Assistance Animal Pass

Download the Assistance Animal Pass information and application form (PDF) 161kB

The accessible version will be available soon.