Refunds and reimbursements

If you're unable to travel or your circumstances change you may be able to get a refund or reimbursement for your ticket.

How money is returned to you depends on what ticket you have and whether you have used it.

Refund: You wish to cancel your ticket before travelling and receive a full refund of any money on the card.

Reimbursement: You have travelled and want to claim back the money from this journey.

Click on the links below for further information.

Expired myki

A myki is decommissioned if it has not been used for at least 12 months and then expires.

If you still have either myki money and/or a myki Pass on your decommissioned myki card you can get a refund.

You cannot apply for a refund online.

Apply for a refund by contacting the PTV Call Centre on 1800 800 007.

Commuter Club

If you wish to cancel your Commuter Club myki card you can choose to have any balance returned to:

  • your Commuter Club Coordinator: Call PTV on 1800 800 007 and tell us which organisation your Commuter Club card is through.
  • yourself: Complete the online form to have the refund paid back to yourself.

All refund applications must be posted to PTV along with the myki card.

Refund processing takes up to 10 business days.

International Undergraduate Student Education (iUSE) Pass refunds

Contact the institution that issued your iUSEpass to apply for a refund.

Institutions will provide a refund for unused pass value and may apply an administration fee.

You cannot request an iUSEpass refund online or via the PTV call centre.

Regional paper tickets (V/Line)

Single and Daily tickets

An unused Single or Daily V/Line paper ticket can be refunded or changed to a different date.

You must do this before the departure date printed on the ticket.

To do this, you can:

Weekly, Monthly and Date-to-Date tickets

Any unused portion of a Weekly, Monthly and Date-to-Date V/Line paper tickets can be refunded.

Your refund will be calculated from the day the application is processed until its expiry date.

To apply for a refund, you can:

Ticket equipment faults

If a ticketing equipment failure results in you paying a higher fare, you can be reimbursed.

All applications are cross referenced against ticketing equipment and recorded faults.

Please provide as much information as possible to assist in processing your application.


Apply for a reimbursement:

Regional ticket (V/Line)

See Regional ticket (V/Line) information above.

Medical conditions

If a medical condition has prevented you from using your ticket, you may be eligible for a reimbursement.

myki Pass

If you have unused myki Pass days on your card due to a medical condition you can apply for a reimbursement online.

You will need to apply for a reimbursement once your myki Pass has expired.

Application requirements:

  • the claim must include a doctor’s certificate for the days claimed – statutory declarations are not an acceptable form of evidence.
  • for 28 – 69 day myki Passes, you can only claim for a minimum of seven (7) consecutive days missed.
  • for 70 – 365 day myki Passes, you can only claim for a minimum of seven (7) consecutive days missed, plus two days for every 30 days the pass is available between 70 and 365 days.

Regional ticket (V/Line)

See Regional ticket (V/Line) information above.

Change of travel circumstances


If your travel circumstances have changed, you can either:

  • Apply for a full refund of your remaining balance online. You will need to send your myki card to PTV and your myki card will be cancelled.


  • Apply to convert the value of any remaining myki Pass days to myki Money online. You will need to post your myki to PTV. Once your application is processed, your myki will be returned to you via post.

Regional ticket (V/Line)

See Regional ticket (V/Line) information above.

What to do with your myki when you leave Melbourne

Visitors can give their myki card to charity by posting it in one of the donation boxes at Southern Cross Station's SkyBus terminal or Station Pier.

Your myki’s valid for four years, so hold onto it if you’re planning a return trip soon.

Special consideration

If you feel that you are eligible for a refund or reimbursement for reasons not outlined on this page, call us on 1800 800 007.