Melbourne Central Station area update
Throughout March, crews will be working at Melbourne Central Station. Standard working hours are 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 7am to 3pm Saturdays. Throughout March, crews will be working outside of these hours, outlined below.
Works taking place
Activities throughout March will include:
- Delivery, installation and removal of construction machinery, equipment and materials
- Cranes used within the construction areas
Works locations and times
Works will take place at the following locations:
- Melbourne Central Station east vent shaft construction area, directly opposite 209 La Trobe Street
- Melbourne Central Station west vent shaft construction area, directly opposite 260 La Trobe Street
Works will take place 24 hours a day during the following times:
- 7pm Friday 3 March to 5am Monday 6 March
- 7pm Friday 17 March to 5am Monday 20 March
- 7pm Friday 24 March to 5am Monday 27 March
Night works will take place as required during the following times:
- 6pm to 7am Wednesday 1 March to Friday 31 March
What to expect
- Traffic management will be in place to ensure the safety of road users and pedestrians during works, including ramps and temporary fencing
- Construction workers, vehicles, machinery, equipment and lighting on site to support night works
- Noise from a crane and other machinery, including demolition and scaffolding works within vent shafts
- Intermittent use of pedestrian gates and cranes, used during standard working hours until late July 2023
Changes to travel
Intermittent closure of both westbound lanes on a section of La Trobe Street, between Swanston Street and
Elizabeth Street, as required between 7pm and 6am
A brief vehicle detour will be in place via Russell Street, Lonsdale Street and Elizabeth Street
Vehicle access to Melbourne Central parking will be maintained
Pedestrian and bicycle access to Melbourne Central Station and the Elizabeth St/La Trobe St tram stop will be
The timing and scope of these works are subject to change. We will be in touch with affected traders and residents about any significant changes.
Melbourne Central works area
Staying in touch
The Level Crossing Removal Project is delivering these works on behalf of the Victorian Government. For more information, visit ptv.vic.gov.au/cityloopupgrades. If you have any questions about works, email us at [email protected] or call 1800 105 105.
Translation service – For languages other than English, please call 9209 0147.
If you need assistance because of a hearing or speech impairment, please visit relayservice.gov.au.