You’ll need either a myki or paper ticket to travel on public transport in Melbourne and regional Victoria.

You need a myki if you’re travelling on:

  • Melbourne’s trains, trams and buses
  • V/Line trains between metropolitan Melbourne and Eaglehawk/Epsom, Seymour, Traralgon, Waurn Ponds and Wendouree
  • Buses within Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Seymour and the Latrobe Valley.

If you’re only travelling in the city’s Free Tram Zone, you don’t need a myki.

You need a V/Line paper ticket if you’re travelling on long distance services:

  • V/Line trains to Bairnsdale, Albury, Shepparton, Echuca, Swan Hill, Ararat, Maryborough or Warrnambool
  • V/Line coaches.

You need a town bus paper ticket if you’re travelling on:

  • many regional buses that operate between towns.