You’ll need either a myki card or paper ticket to travel on public transport in Melbourne and regional Victoria.
You need a myki card if you’re travelling on:
- Melbourne’s trains, trams and buses
- V/Line trains between metropolitan Melbourne and Eaglehawk/Epsom, Seymour, Traralgon, Waurn Ponds and Wendouree
- Buses within Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Seymour and the Latrobe Valley.
If you’re only travelling in the city’s Free Tram Zone, you don’t need a myki.
You need a V/Line paper ticket if you’re travelling on long distance services:
- V/Line trains to Bairnsdale, Albury, Shepparton, Echuca, Swan Hill, Ararat, Maryborough or Warrnambool
- V/Line coaches.
You need a town bus paper ticket if you’re travelling on:
- many regional buses that operate between towns.