V/Line paper tickets
Buying and reserving tickets
It's best to buy your ticket before you travel with V/Line. You need to reserve your seat on some services before travelling.
You can buy and reserve your ticket at:
- staffed V/Line stations
- a V/Line ticket agent – to find your nearest agent, visit the V/Line website
- selected metropolitan premium stations (off-peak times only at some stations).
If you get on at an unstaffed V/Line station or roadside coach stop, you can buy a ticket from the train conductor or coach driver.
You need to make a reservation when travelling to or from Warrnambool, Swan Hill, Shepparton, Albury, Wodonga and Bairnsdale, even if you intend to get off the train before it arrives at its destination.
You don't need to make a reservation on trains travelling to or from all other destinations, including Marshall, Ararat, Ballarat, Bendigo, Echuca, Seymour and Traralgon.
How to check if you need to reserve a seat:
- Look for the 'R' symbol on the timetable.
- Look for ‘reservations required’ in the Journey Planner.
On some long-distance services, reservations only open 24 hours before departure. If you're only travelling a short distance, we encourage you to consider an alternative short-distance service, as they run more frequently. It also helps save seats on long-distance services for people who need to travel longer distances.
Reservations open 24 hours before departure on the following services:
Melbourne to Shepparton
To Southern Cross: 6.57am Monday to Friday train service between Seymour, Broadford, Kilmore East, Wandong, Wallan, Broadmeadows, North Melbourne and Southern Cross.
To Shepparton: 6.33pm Monday to Friday service between Southern Cross, North Melbourne, Broadmeadows and Seymour.
Melbourne to Swan Hill
To Swan Hill: 6.17pm Monday to Friday train service between Southern Cross, Footscray, Watergardens, Sunbury, Gisborne, Woodend and Kyneton.
Melbourne to Warrnambool
To Southern Cross: The 5.38am Monday to Friday train service between Marshall, South Geelong, Geelong, North Geelong, Lara, Little River, Wyndham Vale, Tarneit, Deer Park, Sunshine, Footscray and Southern Cross.
To Warrnambool: The 6.28pm Monday to Friday train service between Southern Cross, Lara, North Geelong, Geelong, South Geelong and Marshall.
The tickets listed below are available as full fare or concession.
- Find out more about regional fares.
- Find out if you’re eligible for concession fares or free travel.
- One journey from the origin to the destination on the date printed on the ticket, until 3am the following day. This ticket doesn't allow stopovers.
- V/Line paper ticket includes travel in Zones 1 + 2 for an hour either side of your V/Line journey and can be used in place of myki.
If you’re travelling on off-peak services, you can save 30 per cent by buying an Off-Peak Single ticket. To find out more about off-peak services, see Regional train and coach tickets.
- Unlimited travel between the origin and destination on the date printed on the ticket, until 3am the following day.
- V/Line paper ticket includes all-day travel in Zones 1 + 2 and can be used in place of myki.
Off-Peak Day Return
If you’re travelling on off-peak services, you can save 30 per cent by buying an Off-Peak Day Return ticket. To find out more about off-peak services, see Regional train and coach tickets.
- Unlimited travel between the origin and destination printed on the ticket for seven consecutive days.
- The ticket expires seven days from the start date printed on the ticket. For example, a ticket valid from Tuesday will expire at the end of services for the following Monday (3am on Tuesday).
- A weekly ticket used between midnight and 3am must be valid for the previous day.
- Unlimited travel between the origin and destination printed on the ticket for one month.
- The ticket expires one month from the start date printed on the ticket. For example, a ticket valid for travel from 15 June will expire at the end of services on 14 July (3am on 15 July). A ticket first valid for travel on 30 or 31 January or on 1 February will expire on 29 February in a leap year, or on 28 February otherwise.
- A monthly ticket used between midnight and 3am must be valid for the previous day.
- Unlimited travel between the origin and destination for the number of weeks printed on the ticket.
- You can buy tickets for 10 to 52 weeks.
- A Date-to-Date ticket used between midnight and 3am must be valid for the previous day. The ticket expires at 3am on the day following the ticket's expiry date.
- Only available on some reserved services to and from Albury, Bairnsdale, Shepparton, Swan Hill and Warrnambool. All other services have Economy Class only, including V/Line coaches.
- First Class carriages have meal trays and larger reclining seats with more leg room.
- The seats are sectioned in groups of four and there are approximately 52 seats in each carriage, compared to 88 in economy.
- If you're travelling on a myki, you can buy a First Class upgrade ticket from a staffed V/Line station before travelling. You can't use myki Money to pay for the upgrade.
- If you're travelling on a myki, touch on and off as normal even when travelling with a First Class upgrade.
Each adult can take up to two children aged under 19 for free or a small fee. Available for travel to and from all V/Line destinations. Not valid for travel entirely within zones 1 and 2.
- All passengers using the Family Traveller ticket must travel together at all times. 17 and 18 year olds must carry proof of age such as a PTV ID, learner permit, probationary licence or passport.
- Adults travel on a Single or Day Return fare.
- If you’re travelling on off-peak services, children travel for free. If you're travelling on peak services, $4.00 is added to the adult Single or $8.00 to the adult Day Return fare. Find out more about off-peak services.
- Adults can travel on a concession fare, if eligible. The Family Traveller is not available if the adult is using a free pass, periodical ticket or free travel voucher.
- If there are more than two children travelling with each adult, additional children will pay the standard child fare.
- Family Traveller tickets are only available in paper form and aren't available with myki.
- The Family Traveller is not valid for the Mansfield to Mount Buller V/Line coach service.