Regional train and coach tickets
You'll need either a myki or V/Line paper ticket for your journey.
The type of ticket you need depends on:
- where you’re travelling
- whether you’re travelling during peak or off-peak
- the ticket type that suits you best.
Peak and off-peak travel
For V/Line services, Melbourne is defined as Flinders Street, Southern Cross, North Melbourne and Richmond stations.
- Services that arrive in Melbourne before 9am on weekdays (three zones or more).
- Services that leave Melbourne between 4pm and 6pm on weekdays (three zones or more).
- Services that leave or arrive in Melbourne between 9am and 4pm on weekdays (three zones or more).
- Services that leave or arrive in Melbourne after 6pm on weekdays (three zones or more).
- Weekends and public holidays.
You can save up to 30 per cent by travelling off-peak. These services are also quieter and you're more likely to find a seat.
If you have an off-peak paper ticket and would like to travel on a peak service, you can buy a peak upgrade ticket.
You need a myki card if you’re travelling on:
- V/Line trains between metropolitan Melbourne and Eaglehawk, Epsom, Seymour, Traralgon, Waurn Ponds or Wendouree
If you’re travelling off peak, myki will automatically apply the 30 per cent discount to your fares.
Find out more about:
You need a V/Line paper ticket if you’re travelling on:
- V/Line long distance trains to Bairnsdale, Albury, Shepparton, Echuca, Swan Hill, Ararat, Maryborough or Warrnambool
- V/Line long distance coaches.
Find out more about V/Line paper tickets.
Combining myki and V/Line tickets
If you’ve got a myki Pass, you can use myki Money to travel to a myki zone beyond your myki Pass zone. If you travel past the myki area, you’ll need a V/Line paper ticket to cover the journey between the last station that your myki Pass is valid for, and your destination.
You can’t combine myki Money and a V/Line paper ticket for trips outside the myki zone boundary.
Travel on regional town buses
You can use your myki or V/Line paper ticket to travel on some local town buses. To find out more, see Regional bus tickets.
Some regional bus paper tickets include limited travel on V/Line services. For more information, see Regional bus tickets.