Regional train and coach tickets

Passengers on Ballarat Station platform

You'll need either a myki or V/Line paper ticket for your journey.

The type of ticket you need depends on:

  • where you’re travelling
  • the ticket type that suits you best.

There’s more information below. You can also call 1800 800 007, or speak to someone at a staffed station.

You need a myki if you’re travelling on:

  • V/Line trains between metropolitan Melbourne and Raywood, Goornong, Seymour, Traralgon, Waurn Ponds or Wendouree

Find out more about:

You need a V/Line paper ticket if you’re travelling on:

  • V/Line long distance trains to Bairnsdale, Albury, Shepparton, Echuca, Swan Hill, Ararat, Maryborough or Warrnambool
  • V/Line long distance coaches
  • Your V/Line paper ticket also includes travel in Zones 1+2 so you don’t need a myki, conditions apply.

Find out more about V/Line paper tickets

Combining myki and V/Line tickets

From 31 March 2023, the daily rate for many myki Passes will become the same. You should purchase a zone 1 to 15 myki Pass to give you the greatest flexibility for travel.

For current myki Pass holders (Zone 1+2), touch on and off as you would normally when travelling within the myki zones.

If you are a customer travelling on a Zone 1+2 myki Pass with an email or paper ticket issued under the above arrangement, you should not touch on your myki when you travel outside of your pass zones. If you do touch on, you will be reimbursed for the additional myki Money fare charged by 12pm the following day.

If you’ve got a myki Pass where the daily rate is less than regional fare cap myki Pass daily rate (currently $6.00), you can use myki Money to travel to a myki zone beyond your myki Pass zone.

If you travel past the myki area, you’ll need a V/Line paper ticket to cover the journey between the last station that your myki Pass is valid for, and your destination.

You can’t combine myki Money and a V/Line paper ticket for trips outside the myki zone boundary.

Travel on regional town buses

You can use your myki to travel on myki-enabled local town buses. To find out more, see Regional bus tickets

You can use your V/Line paper ticket to travel on non-myki enabled local town buses. To ensure you do not have to pay more than the regional fare cap, purchase your V/Line paper ticket prior to undertaking any local town bus travel on the same day.

For more information, see Regional bus tickets