We're helping to reduce public transport's impact on the environment.
We're working with public transport operators to:
- Understand and adapt to the impacts caused by climate change
- reduce emissions from public transport
- make sure the network is safe and sustainable
- achieve operational sustainability ratings for our infrastructure.
- encourage walking and cycling as part of your journey
- promote infrastructure that supports walking and cycling to projects
- consider the sustainability of products and services we buy.
Solar-powered tram network
We're supporting the development of new renewable energy within Victoria. From January 2019 new Victorian large-scale solar plants will produce the same amount of energy used to power the tram network. This will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 80,000 tonnes every year. Find more information on the Yarra Trams website.
Find more information on the Victorian Government's renewable energy purchasing scheme on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning's website.
Find information about travelling on trains, trams and buses with a bicycle at Bikes and public transport
Parkiteer bike cages are a secure way to store your bike at stations before travelling by train. Find more information on the Bicycle network website. You can also view a list of all Parkiteer locations.
Check the current air quality in Victoria at EPA AirWatch.