Artist’s impression of Reservoir substation. Subject to change.
Melbourne is growing and we’re adding more capacity to our tram network to provide more services and reliability for passengers.
We're building a new substation at 816 Plenty Road, Reservoir to replace the existing substation and provide more power to the network.
The new substation will support the operation of E-Class trams on Route 86 and ensure there is enough power to keep the network operating smoothly, reliably, and safely.
The new substation will take just over a year to build and will be completed in four stages:
- August 2023 – early service installation and site mobilisation
- September 2023 to March 2024 – construction of new substation and installation of equipment
- April 2024 – testing, commissioning, and completion of the new substation
- April 2024 – demolition of the old substation
Most of the work will occur:
- 7am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
- 7am to 3pm, Saturday
For any work outside of these hours, we will provide advanced notification.