Fundraising and other activities

​If you want to use the public transport network for community or professional activities, some conditions apply.

Fundraising activities

If you want to carry out fundraising activities at metropolitan stations you'll need permission from Metro Trains.

Find more information on the Metro Trains website.

Photography and filming

Find information about photography and filming on the metropolitan train network on the Metro Trains website.

Find information about photography and filming on the tram network on the Yarra Trams website.

Find information about photography and filming on the regional train network on the V/Line website.

Selling, busking and promotional activities

The Transport (Compliance and Miscellaneous) (Conduct on Public Transport) Regulations 2015 contain rules about conducting the following activities on the public transport network:

  • selling
  • hiring
  • soliciting
  • busking
  • distributing material.

If you want to sell, hire, solicit, busk or hand out information of any nature around the public transport network, you must be aware of conduct prohibited by the regulations.

Section 30 of the regulations prohibits the following activities in or on a public transport vehicle or premises, unless you have written authorisation from the relevant public transport operator or VicTrack:

  • selling, hiring, or offering for sale or hire any thing, or touting for custom, hire or employment
  • soliciting money or goods, busking or the distribution of handbills, in or on a public transport vehicle, or public transport premises

A public transport vehicle includes trains, trams or buses that are operated by public transport operators or rail freight operators.

A public transport premises includes any land, building, premises or structure that is leased, owned or occupied by public transport operators, rail freight operators or VicTrack.

A handbill includes leaflets, brochures, notices, pamphlets, or any other printed material distributed by hand, containing political, commercial or community related information.

Where information is being distributed near a station, stop, or vehicle, you must not block public access to the station, stop or vehicle. You may need to get approval from the local council to conduct any activities near a station, stop or vehicle.

View a copy of the regulations on the Australasian Legal Information Institute website.

Access to the regional train network (V/Line)

Find information about access to the regional train network for third party works or community events on the V/Line website.