You’ll need a myki for your journey.
- If you use a myki Pass, you’ll need to choose the zones you want to travel in and the number of consecutive days you need when you buy it.
- If you use myki Money, your fare is automatically calculated as you touch on and touch off.
There are three fare groups, based on metropolitan zones: Free Tram Zone, Zone 1+2 and Zone 2 only. Find out more about zones.
Free Tram Zone
- Applies to tram travel only.
- If you're only travelling in the Free Tram Zone, your journey is free and you don't need a myki. If you accidentally touch on, you'll be charged a 2 hour Zone 1+2 fare. For more information, see the Fares and Ticketing Manual.
- If you start or finish your journey outside the Free Tram Zone you need to pay for your journey and use a myki.
- Applies to train, tram and bus travel.
- Travel entirely within Zone 1.
- Travel between the Free Tram Zone, Zone 1 and Zone 2.
- Travel between Zone 1 and Zone 2.
Zone 2 only
- Applies to train, tram and bus travel.
- Travel entirely within Zone 2.
- Travel entirely within the Zone 1/2 boundary overlap.
- Travel to Zone 1/2 boundary overlap from Zone 2.
The fares below are effective from 1 January 2019.
If you travel occasionally, pay as you go with myki Money. Load a dollar amount onto your myki and your myki will automatically calculate the lowest fare possible as you touch on and touch off.
From Monday 1 February to Friday 27 August 2021 you can also get a 30% discount if you travel during off-peak.
myki Money 2 hour fare
|2 hour||Zone 1 + 2||Zone 2|
myki Money Daily fare
|Daily||Zone 1 + 2||Zone 2|
myki Money off-peak fare offer*
|Full fare||$3.15||$6.30 (if all paid trips occur during off-peak times)|
|Concession||$1.58||$3.15 (if all paid trips occur during off-peak times)|
* The 30% off-peak discount fare offer is valid from Monday 1 February to Friday 27 August 2021 where touch off occurs between 9.30am and 4pm, or touch on occurs before 4pm or after 7pm on weekdays. The offer is available for travel on metropolitan trains, trams and buses in Zone 1 or Zones 1 + 2. Find out more about the temporary offer and conditions at myki Money.
Touch on and touch off before 7.15am and make sure you have a positive myki Money balance to receive the free Early Bird fare on your metropolitan train journey.
Please note: V/Line train services are not eligible for the Early Bird fare, except for travel between Pakenham or Sunbury and Melbourne.
myki Daily fare caps
|Other ticket / caps||Full fare||Concession||Seniors|
|Weekend daily cap||$6.50||$3.25||-|
|Public holiday cap||$6.50||$3.25||$3.25*|
*Seniors daily cap - Seniors myki cardholders never pay more than $4.50 for unlimited travel in Zones 1 and 2. Seniors also receive free travel on Saturdays and Sundays for trips entirely within one or two consecutive zones (including within Zone 1+2) and on regional town bus services.
If you travel often, you can buy consecutive days with a myki Pass. Choose where you’ll be travelling and how many days you need. You can buy a myki Pass for 7 days or anywhere between 28 and 365 days.
Weekly (7 day) myki Pass fare table
Weekly rate 7 day pass
Daily rate for 28-365*day myki Pass
|Daily rate for 28-365**||Zone 1+2r||Zone 2|
For more information, see School students.
PTV fee ID table
|Student ID type||Date range||Fee|
|PTV School Student ID||For primary and secondary students. Valid from purchase until 28 February 2021||$9|
|PTV Tertiary Student ID - First half year||For tertiary students only attending a course for 10 to 20 weeks. Valid from purchase until 31 July 2020||$9|
|PTV Tertiary Student ID - Second half year||For tertiary students only attending a course for 10 to 20 weeks. Valid from 1 July 2020 until 28 February 2021||$9|
Victorian Student Pass cost table
You can purchase a student pass if you're:
- a full-time primary or secondary student living in Victoria
- a full-time VCE or VCAL student studying at TAFE
|First half year||Purchase to 31 July 2020||$322.00|
|Second half year||1 July 2020 to 28 February 2021||$322.00|
|Yearly||Purchase to 28 February 2021||$617.00|