How to use myki machines, Quick Top Up machines, readers, checks and gates.
At a myki machine, you can:
- top up with myki Money
- top up with myki Pass
- view your myki status, balance and expiry date
- check when your 2 hour fare expires
- see your last 10 transactions
- buy a Full Fare, General Concession, Senior or Child myki card.
You can pay with cash, EFTPOS or credit card. The minimum top up amount is $1, but we recommend topping up with at least a 2 hour fare so you have a valid ticket for your next trip.
If you use cash to top up with myki Money, the machine can't give change. If you use cash to top up with a myki Pass, the machine can give a maximum $10 change. The machine doesn't accept 5 cent coins so the cost of fares may round up to the next 10 cents. But you won't be charged more when you travel. Wait for ‘transaction complete’ before removing your card from the machine.
If you have trouble reading the screen, increase the contrast by touching the zoom button and switching to black and white.
You can find myki machines at all metropolitan train stations and some accessible tram stops and bus interchanges.
Mobile myki cannot be used with a myki machine.
Top up faster with myki Money Quick Top Up machines
myki Money Quick Top Up machines are a quick, easy and convenient way to top up your myki Money.
You can top up with a contactless VISA and MasterCard for amounts between $5 and $50.
You can also check your myki Money balance, myki Pass details, card status, fare type, and travel and top up history.
How to use a Quick Top Up machine:
- Tap your myki onto the green panel
- Select your myki Money top up amount
- Tap your VISA or MasterCard to pay using contactless payment
- Tap your myki back onto the green panel to load your top up onto your myki card
Mobile myki cannot be used with a Quick Top Up machine.
At a myki reader you can see:
Touch on and off at myki readers to travel on trains, trams and buses. You can find myki readers at train stations and on trams and buses.
Mobile myki can be used with myki readers.
At a myki check, you can:
- view your myki card status, balance and expiry date
- check the expiry time of your myki Money 2 hour fare
- see your last 10 transactions.
You can use the button to scroll through the information on the screen. Press ‘exit’ when you're finished.
myki checks are available at some train stations, accessible tram stops and bus interchanges.
Mobile myki cannot be used with myki check.
There are two types of myki gate - standard myki gates and next-generation myki gates. You'll find myki gates at all metropolitan train stations.
At a standard myki gate, you can:
At a next-generation myki gate, you can:
- touch on and touch off, faster than with a standard myki gate.
If you’re travelling with children, you can touch on with up to 10 myki cards. The gates will stay open until each person has gone through.
Mobile myki can be used with myki gates.