War Veteran/War Widow(er) Concession
If you're a war veteran or war widow(er), you may be eligible for a 50 per cent discount on travel. You'll also get free travel during Veterans' Health Week. Check if you're eligible and download an application form below.
To be eligible for a War Veteran/War Widow(er) concession myki you must:
- have documentary evidence of war or peacemaking service overseas
- hold a Veteran Gold or White Card
- not be entitled to another type of concession (see below)
- live in Victoria.
To see if your military service meets the warlike or non-warlike determinations listed under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) or Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA), visit these websites for a list of recognised overseas war and peacekeeping operations:
- Determination of warlike service under the MRCA
- Determinations of non-warlike service under MRCA
- Determination of warlike service under the VEA
- Determinations of non-warlike service under VEA.
While the border protection services are an important role of the armed forces, it is not classified as war or warlike by the Commonwealth Department of Defence and is not eligible for the War Veteran/War Widow(er) Concession under the criteria.
You may be able to apply for:
Free travel vouchers
If you're a Victorian resident and hold a Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs, you're eligible for annual free travel vouchers. You'll need to register to receive these.
Who can apply?
You can apply if you don't have any of these concession cards:
- Victorian Seniors Card
- Victorian Health Care Card
- Australian Pensioner Concession Card
- Victorian public transport free travel pass
- any other proof of concession.
How to apply
Download an application form below:
How to travel
The War Veteran/War Widow(er) concession myki is personalised with your name and photo. When you touch on and off you'll pay a concession fare.
If you're travelling on V/Line services or regional buses that don't use myki, you'll need to show your War Veteran/War Widow(er) concession myki to pay the concession fare.
Concession passengers with an Android phone can use Mobile myki, and select General concession as the fare type.
Veterans Card – Victoria Program
From 1 July 2023, the Veterans Card – Victoria (VCV) Program will be introduced to recognise and thank Victorian veterans for their profound contribution to our state and nation.
The VCV Program provides:
- A virtual card delivered as a digital card through the Service Victoria app from 1 July 2023
- Access to state-based discounts and services
- Free public transport on Anzac Day and Remembrance Day
- Any individual who is currently enrolled or has previously been enrolled for service in the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and resides in Victoria. Any length, type and location of service is accepted.
- Eligible individuals can apply for the digital card now through the Service Victoria app or online at service.vic.gov.au
- The Veterans Card – Victoria does not entitle holders to concession public transport fares.
- If deemed eligible, Service Victoria will issue the individual with a digital card containing the veteran’s name, card number, effective date and a QR code (for verification purposes).
- The VCV Program does not affect other national Veteran Card programs. Eligible customers can continue to apply and receive other benefits listed on the Department of Veterans' Affairs Veteran Card page.
- Veterans can store and show the card in the digital wallet of the Service Victoria app.