War Veteran/War Widow(er) Concession
If you're a war veteran or war widow(er), you may be eligible for a 50 per cent discount on travel. You'll also get free travel during Veterans' Health Week. Check if you're eligible and download an application form below.
To be eligible for a War Veteran/War Widow(er) concession myki you must:
- have documentary evidence of war or peacemaking service overseas
- hold a Veteran Gold or White Card
- not be entitled to another type of concession (see below)
- live in Victoria.
To see if your military service meets the warlike or non-warlike determinations listed under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) or Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA), visit these websites for a list of recognised overseas war and peacekeeping operations:
- Determination of warlike service under the MRCA
- Determinations of non-warlike service under MRCA
- Determination of warlike service under the VEA
- Determinations of non-warlike service under VEA.
While the border protection services are an important role of the armed forces, it is not classified as war or warlike by the Commonwealth Department of Defence and is not eligible for the War Veteran/War Widow(er) Concession under the criteria.
You may be able to apply for:
Free travel vouchers
If you're a Victorian resident and hold a Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs, you're eligible for annual free travel vouchers. You'll need to register to receive these.
Who can apply?
You can apply if you don't have any of these concession cards:
- Victorian Seniors Card
- Victorian Health Care Card
- Australian Pensioner Concession Card
- Victorian public transport free travel pass
- any other proof of concession.
How to apply
Download an application form below:
- War Veteran/War Widow(er) concession myki application form (PDF) 703 KB
- (Accessible Version) War Veteran/War Widow(er) concession myki application form (DOCX) 31 KB
There's information about how to apply on the form. If you would like the application form posted to you or help completing the form, call 1800 800 007 or visit a PTV Hub.
How to travel
The War Veteran/War Widow(er) concession myki is personalised with your name and photo. When you touch on and off you'll pay a concession fare.
If you're travelling on V/Line services or regional buses that don't use myki, you'll need to show your War Veteran/War Widow(er) concession myki to pay the concession fare.
Concession passengers with an Android phone can use Mobile myki, and select General concession as the fare type.