Night Network lets you explore Melbourne’s vibrant nightlife safely and conveniently with public transport running all night on weekends.
Whether you’re out dining, dancing or discovering the city, we’ll help you get around and back home with all-night services every Friday and Saturday on metropolitan trains, trams and buses, and regional coaches.
Learn more about our all-night weekend services:
Night Trains run every 60 minutes on all lines, except Stony Point and Flemington Racecourse. Some stations have more frequent trains, including Richmond, South Yarra, North Melbourne, Footscray, Caulfield, Clifton Hill and Burnley.
After 1am, all trains run direct to and from Flinders Street Station. Parliament, Melbourne Central and Flagstaff stations close just after midnight. Southern Cross Station closes just after 1am. Premium stations are staffed all night.
Shuttle trains run on the Williamstown Line between Newport and Williamstown, the Alamein Line between Camberwell and Alamein, and the Cranbourne Line between Dandenong and Cranbourne. Shuttle trains also operate between Ringwood and Belgrave/Lilydale.
All services pick up passengers in both directions.
Night Trams run every 30 minutes on routes 19, 67, 75, 86, 96 and 109. You can travel between the city and St Kilda, Coburg, Bundoora, Port Melbourne, Carnegie, Box Hill, Vermont South and Brunswick.
Your trip is free if you're just travelling in the city's Free Tram Zone. View the Free Tram Zone map.
There are 21 Night Bus routes, running every 30 to 60 minutes. Many routes run every hour to connect with trains at suburban stations.
You can get on and off at Night Bus stops. You can also be dropped off at kerbside tram stops and any bus stops along the route.
Buses wait for up to 30 minutes at Broadmeadows, Carrum, Croydon, Dandenong, Elsternwick, Frankston, Glen Waverley, Lilydale, Ringwood and Watergardens stations.
Buses wait for five minutes at Bayswater, Caulfield, South Morang and Ringwood stations.
Night Bus routes are:
- Route 941: City, Footscray, Sunshine North, Taylors Lakes, Watergardens
- Route 942: City, Footscray, Sunshine, Deer Park, St Albans
- Route 943: Watergardens, Caroline Springs, Melton
- Route 944: City, Newport, Altona, Altona Meadows, Point Cook
- Route 945: City, Geelong Road, Tarneit, Hoppers Crossing, Werribee, Wyndham Vale
- Route 951: City, Moonee Ponds, Brunswick West, Pascoe Vale, Glenroy
- Route 952: City, Footscray, Maribyrnong, Airport West, Gladstone Park, Broadmeadows
- Route 953: Broadmeadows, Meadow Heights, Roxburgh Park, Craigieburn
- Route 955: City, Brunswick, Ivanhoe, Bundoora, Mill Park, South Morang, Mernda
- Route 961: City, Collingwood, Eastern Freeway, Templestowe, Doncaster
- Route 963: Ringwood, Mooroolbark, Lilydale
- Route 964: Croydon, Kilsyth, Mt Evelyn, Lilydale
- Route 965: Lilydale, Woori Yallock, Healesville loop
- Route 966: City, Kew, Doncaster Road, Box Hill
- Route 967: Glen Waverley, Burwood Highway, Bayswater (returns via Bayswater North, Ferntree Gully)
- Route 969: City, Caulfield, Ferntree Gully Road, Rowville, Wantirna, Ringwood
- Route 970: Carrum, Frankston, Mornington, Rosebud
- Route 978: Elsternwick, Ormond, Huntingdale, Mulgrave, Dandenong (returns via Princes Highway)
- Route 979: Elsternwick, Bentleigh, Clarinda, Keysborough, Dandenong
- Route 981: Dandenong, Berwick, Narre Warren South, Cranbourne
- Route 982: Dandenong, Endeavour Hills, Hampton Park, Cranbourne
You can catch Night Coaches from the city to Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, Seymour and Traralgon. Each coach has a toilet and space for one wheelchair.
Most stops are by request only – let your driver know your destination when you board.
Coaches travel from the city to Ballarat at 1.10am and 2.10am.
View your Ballarat Line timetable.
Coaches travel from Bendigo to the city at 10.20pm. Coaches also travel from the city to Bendigo at 1.05am and 2.05am.
View your Bendigo Line timetable.
Two coaches leave Southern Cross at 2.15am. One stops on request at Tarneit, Wyndham Vale, Little River and Lara. The second drops off passengers at any station between Corio and Waurn Ponds, and picks up passengers from Geelong Station.
View your Geelong Line timetable.
Coaches travel from Seymour to the city at 11pm. Coaches also travel from the city to Seymour at 2am.
View your Seymour Line timetable.
Coaches travel from Traralgon to the city at 10pm. Coaches also travel from the city to Traralgon at 2am.
View your Traralgon Line timetable.
Fares and topping up
You can travel on Night Trains, Night Trams and Night Buses with myki and will be charged your usual fare. Off-peak fares apply on Night Coach. You won’t be charged a return fare if you touch on before 3am. A new day of myki fares begins at 3am.
At night, you can top up your physical myki card at myki machines at train stations, tram stops, premium stations, on board Night Bus ($20 maximum) or at 24-hour shops like 7-Eleven.
With Mobile myki, you can top up on the go on your Android phone via the Google PayTM app.
Touching on and off
Remember to touch on every time you board, unless you're just travelling in the city’s Free Tram Zone. View the Free Tram Zone map.
Touch off as you get off the bus or exit the train station to pay the lowest fare. You only need to touch off on trams when your trip is entirely in Zone 2.
If you’re travelling on Night Coach, touch on at the myki reader at Southern Cross Coach Terminal. Touch off at regional train stations or on the coach.
To help you explore the night more safely, Protective Services Officers (PSOs) patrol all metropolitan stations and four regional stations (Bendigo, Traralgon, Ballarat and Geelong) from 6pm every night. All metropolitan stations have CCTV.
If you ever feel unsafe, and there isn’t a PSO or police officer nearby, look for a public transport employee. You can also call Metro Trains staff from any platform or train using the emergency intercom button.
Find out more about travelling safely.
In an emergency, you should always call 000.
You can find Night Network maps, including high-contrast maps for people with vision impairments, on the Maps page.